GIS Coordinator(Job Number: 200137)
Here at the City of Atlanta, we are passionate about building and improving our community. Our Police Officers, Fire Fighters, and Building Inspectors keep our Citizens safe. Our Public Works Staff keep our City clean and help to maintain, build, and improve our City’s infrastructure. Our City planners help envision and shape future City growth. Our Parks & Recreation professionals enhance our quality of life. Our Engineers help to keep our drinking water clean, the largest airport in the world (by passenger volume) operating, and our buildings maintained. Along with the host of Finance, Procurement, and Human Resources professionals whose support is vital, we are the City of Atlanta! If you’re seeking a meaningful role where you can make a real difference improving and growing our City, we welcome you to explore the job opportunities we have to offer.
Position Expires: 2/5/2020
Salary: Commensurate with experience
General Description and Classification Standards
Coordinates GIS projects and activities in the department. Uses geospatial technology expertise to provide support for various departments as it relates to the needs of users to access city records and plans. Helps to develop the annual budget. This is a Senior level position capable of carrying out most assignments under general direction.
Works under very general supervision. Reports directly to GIS Manager. Works independently or with other skilled or semi-skilled workers with responsibility for completion of assigned tasks.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities These are typical responsibilities for this position and should not be construed as exclusive or all inclusive. May perform other duties as assigned. Essential functions may include, but are not limited to the following:
- Coordinates and assigns GIS personnel to projects.
- Provides team lead oversight on projects including quality assurance, data analysis, map production and report production.
- Provides technical support to staff and other departments to ensure that the Department GIS system is meeting the needs of the department’s missions.
- May provide daily management of city’s enterprise geographic information system servers, and related workstations.
- Ability to serve as ArcGIS administrator
- Maintains and updates GIS databases, including database design, uploading and downloading files.
Selects from multiple procedures and methods to accomplish tasks. May make purchasing or resource allocation decisions within organization guidelines. Applies organizational policies. May interpret organizational policies and recommend exceptions.
Serves as a technical resource or mentor to other employees. May lead or instruct less experienced workers in high level or technical jobs.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities This is a partial listing of necessary knowledge, skills, and abilities required to perform the job successfully. It is not an exhaustive list.
- Specialized knowledge of GIS software including ArcGIS Online and ArcGIS Pro. Ability to resolve issues without escalation. Substantial understanding of the job and applies knowledge and skills to complete a wide range of tasks.
- Knowledge of Geographic Information Systems (GIS) suite of services for web design, deployment, systems development practices, activities, and techniques including systems analysis.
- Skill in using a range of software tools for GIS map creation and maintenance, data analysis, and Internet-enabled GIS.
- Identifies modifications to existing applications based on user needs and specifications. Skill in managing user relations, administrative tasks, and projects. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with customers receiving GIS services.
Minimum Qualifications – Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in GIS, geography, computer science or engineering (equivalent professional experience may be considered for substitution for the required degree on an exception basis).
- 6-8 years GIS work experience
Preferred Education & Experience
- Master’s degree in computer science, geography or CAD or a related field
- 8-10 years GIS work experience
Licensures and Certifications
GISP or Esri Desktop Certification preferred
Position would be expected to have licensure or professional certifications appropriate to the position.
Required: Valid Georgia driver’s license
Essential Capabilities and Work Environment
Required physical, lifting, and sensory capabilities are requirements to perform the job successfully. Typical environmental conditions associated with job.
For more information or to apply, please visit: https://atlantaga.taleo.net/careersection/coa_general_external/jobdetail.ftl?job=200137&lang=en&sns_id=mailto#.XjGYJhpDYtE.mailto