Newton County is currently seeking applicants for a GIS Intern position in the GIS Department. Interns are needed to help support the GIS Department’s professional staff with some of the duties listed below. An internship with Newton County will serve as an excellent opportunity for a current college/university student to gain valuable, on-the-job experience while assisting with the development and advancement of the County’s GIS program.
The pay rate for the position is $12/hour and the internship is part-time/temporary. The selected applicant may work up to 20 hours per week and the internship is funded until June 30, 2020.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Operates global positioning system (GPS) equipment and mobile devices to collect field data.
- Produces maps for internal customers and the general public.
- Scans/digitizes paper maps and plans.
- Drafts and updates metadata and other support documentation.
- May edit map layers and geodatabases.
- May design, develop, and deploy web and mobile GIS applications.
- High School Diploma or GED equivalent.
- Current enrollment in a Bachelor’s degree program with a major in Geography, GIS, or closely related field. Graduate students are also encouraged to apply.
- Knowledge of cartographic design principles and practices.
- Experience using Esri ArcGIS Desktop software (ArcMap or ArcGIS Pro).
- Experience with web or mobile GIS applications, such as: ArcGIS Online, Esri’s Collector app, or Trimble GPS.
- Willingness to learn and contribute to a team environment.
A Letter of Interest and Professional Resume listing relevant job experiences and time worked in each position MUST BE RECEIVED for consideration by JULY 29, 2019. Please submit all required documents to firstname.lastname@example.org and cc email@example.com with the subject line GIS INTERN POSITION. You may also bring in or mail your letter of interest and professional resume to Human Resources at 1113 Usher Street, Suite 203, Covington, GA 30014. An application does not need to be submitted for this position.
We will contact by phone or email only those applicants whose qualifications meet our minimum requirements and are selected to move forward in the process. We comply with the Drug Free Workplace Guidelines.
Newton County is an Equal Opportunity Employer.