- Type:Full Time
- Salary/Pay Rate:$45,000
- Posted Date:07/23/2019 2:37 pm
- Deadline to Apply:09/20/2019 3:57 pm
To apply, please visit our Career Center .
The City of Sandy Springs is currently accepting applications for a GIS Technician. Qualified applicants will have knowledge of GIS principles as well as practical experience with Esri ArcGIS. The person in this position may be required to collect data in the field and in the office, make online maps, edit existing datasets and provide GIS support to other departments.
The GIS Technician will work under the supervision of the GIS Manager and with the GIS Analyst. This position does not have supervisory responsibilities.
Applicants are preferred to have a Bachelor’s degree or Certificate in Geography, GIS or related field.
• Experience with Esri ArcGIS Pro and ArcGIS Desktop
• Knowledge of GIS principles, including projection, editing, cartography, geodatabases, queries
• Ability to work well with GIS staff as well as other departments
• Ability to follow written and verbal directions, prioritize tasks and communicate progress
• Ability to meet project deadlines
• Desire to continue learning new technologies
Duties and Responsibilities
• Design and produce high quality cartographic products for a variety of city departments such as Public Works, Community Development, Fire Dept., and Emergency Management
• Perform data editing in an enterprise environment
• Interpret detailed plans, photographs, maps, and legal descriptions
• Digitize mapping information from a variety of sources and verify digitized data for accuracy.
• Assist with development and maintenance of GIS data resources to be utilized for public access
• Assist in maintaining web based products including ArcGIS Online content such as web maps and web applications
• Perform spatial analyses and create information products using GIS geoprocessing tools
• Assist staff in troubleshooting basic GIS system functions
• Maintain datasets including addresses, roads, stormwater systems and city assets
• Perform GIS data conversion
• Provide GIS training to City staff
• Coordinate data sharing with outside parties
• Catalog and inventory GIS data, including metadata creation
• Provide GIS staffing support in the Emergency Operations Center (EOC) during emergency activations such as severe weather which may include irregular hours. Training, supervision and standard operating procedures will be provided.
This is a full-time position. The GIS Technician is expected to work on-site Monday – Friday, 8 am – 5 pm. Additional hours may be required to support Emergency Operations and periodic maintenance.
Annual salary for the GIS Technician is $45,000.
The City of Sandy Springs offers a range of benefits, including but not limited to retirement, medical and dental.