The City of Covington is currently seeking applicants for a GIS Intern position in the GIS Department. An intern is needed to help support the City’s professional GIS staff with some of the duties listed below, and to collaborate with Newton County employees, as well. This internship will serve as an excellent opportunity for a current college/university student to gain valuable, on-the-job experience while assisting with the development and advancement of Covington’s GIS program.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Operates global positioning system (GPS) equipment and mobile devices to collect field data.
• Produces maps for internal customers and the general public.
• Scans/digitizes paper maps and plans.
• Drafts and updates metadata and other support documentation.
• May edit map layers and geodatabases.
• May design, develop, and deploy web and mobile GIS applications.
• High School Diploma or GED equivalent.
• Current enrollment in a Bachelor’s degree program with a major in Geography, GIS, or closely related field. Graduate students are also encouraged to apply.
• Knowledge of cartographic design principles and practices.
• Experience using Esri ArcGIS Desktop software (ArcMap or ArcGIS Pro).
• Experience with web or mobile GIS applications, such as: ArcGIS Online, Esri’s Collector app, or Trimble GPS.
• Willingness to learn and contribute to a team environment.
The pay rate for the position is $12/hour and the internship is part-time/temporary. The selected applicant(s) may work up to 29.5 hours per week and the internship is funded until June 30, 2018. Qualified applicants should submit a letter of interest and resume to email@example.com by August 4, 2017. No phone calls, please.
The City of Covington is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The AidData Center for Development Policy is seeking recent graduates and young professionals to apply for a 6-month GIS Fellowship at the USAID/Rwanda Mission in Kigali, Rwanda.
The fellow will be based in the USAID/Rwanda Program Office and will work closely with the Mission staff to support the implementation of USAID/Rwanda’s 2016-2017 GIS Action Plan to increase the use of GIS for analytical rigor and data-driven decision making. This will include developing a system for the Mission to georeference their aid projects, training USAID staff in geocoding and geospatial analysis, supporting implementation of the Mission’s geospatial database, working closely with Program Office and Technical staff to analyze geocoded data to support strategy development and program analysis, and conducting outreach to the Government of Rwanda, US Embassy staff, and the ICT-Sector Working Group to support ongoing efforts around GIS and open data in Rwanda.
Preferred qualifications include skill in geospatial data management and analysis, familiarity with the production of geocoded aid information, previous work experience with USAID, experience living and working abroad, experience with development policy institutions, relevant coursework in international development, GIS, and quantitative analysis, and demonstrated ability to succeed in independent working environments.
The fellowship will begin in mid-October 2016 with pre-departure training at AidData’s offices in Williamsburg, VA and with the USAID GeoCenter in Washington, DC. Following the training, fellows will depart to Kigali, Rwanda where they will work at the USAID/Rwanda office through the fellowship end date of mid-April 2017. The selected fellow will receive a stipend to cover all travel, living, and housing expenses associated with the fellowship.
TO APPLY, PLEASE SEND A RESUME AND COVER LETTER TO ALENA STERN AT SUMMERFELLOWS@AIDDATA.ORG WITH THE SUBJECT LINE “USAID/RWANDA GIS FELLOW” BY AUGUST 24, 2016
Location: Norcross, Georgia
Who we are:
Transcend Spatial Solutions is a small but well established and rapidly growing geospatial IT consulting firm and software development company with over forty employees. We focus on products and services for the transportation industry, especially U.S. state departments of transportation (DOTs). It’s our goal to maintain the small company feel where doors are kept open, camaraderie is high, and hard work is rewarded.
Our core GIS activities revolve around Linear Referencing Systems (LRS), the ArcGIS suite of products and in particular ESRI’s Roads & Highways, data migration and transportation GIS in general. Transcend has also developed its own suite of products designed to help State DOTs perform their regular daily tasks.
Our analysts have intimate knowledge of these internal products and are involved from requirements gathering to testing to implementation and finally training. Many of our analysts have direct experience working for and with State DOTs performing linear referencing, data management and data QC. Our analysts frequently use model builder and python for automation of geoprocessing tasks, and are familiar and comfortable with using, managing and querying databases.
Our analysts have experience implementing and customizing ESRI ArcGIS products particularly Roads and Highways), setting up and working in a versioned GIS editing environment, gathering requirements, designing and implementing enterprise and local spatial databases and improving workflows and processes.
Transcend is looking for a motivated full-time GIS Intern with a background and or education in GIS.
What you’ll do:
- Work with a team to design, develop, and test workflows, spatial databases and systems.
- Work with the ArcGIS Suite of products (ArcGIS Desktop and ESRI’s Roads and Highways) to analyze and edit data.
- Learn how to automate geoprocessing tasks.
- Work with Transcend’s Productivity tools and the Road Analyzer product.
- Solve complex problems
- Supporting senior staff
What you need:
- Knowledge of how to use the ArcGIS product suite (10.x)
- Fundamental understanding of spatial and non-spatial Databases
- Enthusiasm and drive to learn and work in a team oriented and collaborative environment.
- A good attitude and a desire to help create quality products and reusable components.
- Strong grasp of GIS and mapping principles.
- Bonus points if you’ve worked with: ESRI’s Roads and Highways
- Automation of geoprocessing tasks using Python
- Workflow Manager
- ArcGIS Server
- SDE design, implementation and maintenance
What we offer:
- Competitive salary
- Opportunity to work with new technologies
- Opportunity to influence the technical decisions in the company
- Possibility of full-time employment with competitive benefits package.
The Clayton County Water Authority will offer its 2016 Summer Internship program. The program offers students the opportunity to work 25-29 hours per week during the summer gaining real-life work experience in the growing water industry. Attached is the information … [CLICK TO READ MORE]