Georgia Urban and Regional Information Systems Association
Georgia URISA is a proud chapter of the Urban and Regional Information Systems Association (URISA). The Georgia URISA Chapter is an organization of professionals using Geographic Information Systems (GIS) and other information technologies to solve challenges at the state, county, and local government levels. In addition, we collaborate with various private sector agencies that utilizes GIS.
URISA is a non-profit professional and educational association that promotes the effective and ethical use of spatial information and information technologies for the understanding and management of urban and regional systems. It is a multidisciplinary association where professionals from all parts of the spatial data community can come together and share concerns and ideas.
For more information about URISA, go to www.urisa.org.
Georgia URISA holds networking lunches the second Tuesday of every month. More details can be found here. Click on the event below to reserve your space now.
GA URISA News
This highly technical position will ensure the successful function of the Department’s geospatial functions. The incumbent will manage and update core datasets, perform research, and maintain mapping applications. The successful candidate should have a Bachelor’s degree in planning/land use, public administration, or a related field with course work in geography, cartography, landscape architecture, geographic information systems, or related areas with two years of experience involving GIS database design and implementation with the production and maintenance of GIS data layers. Must possess a valid driver’s license. Compensation is $47,565/year, plus fulltime benefits. For a complete announcement or to apply, please visit www.accgov.com/jobs.
The City of Brookhaven, located in metro Atlanta, is seeking highly qualified applicants for a GIS Manager in the IT Department.
Under general direction of the IT Director, manages, designs, documents, coordinates, plans, implements and participates in the input, update, and maintenance of data for the City’s Geographic Information System (GIS); manages project teams; identifies resources and establishes project objectives and timelines; and develops city-wide standards for GIS deployment and use.
Assist in the Following Duties:
• Organizes, directs, and participates in the development, management, maintenance, and utilization of the City’s GIS.
• Analyzing the feasibility of GIS application requests.
• Creates and integrates new database sources into the City’s overall GIS.
• Ensures ongoing and appropriate development of the City’s base map and associated layers.
• Designs, documents, implements, and tests the City’s GIS end user applications.
• Assists other City staff in the utilization of the GIS through training and the development of GIS interfaces and other tools.
• Establishes productive relationships among collaborating departments for GIS projects.
• Coordinates data gathering and production of all maps and related geographical data for all City departments.
• Consults with department directors and designated staff from all City departments regarding departmental GIS needs and requirements.
• Protects the integrity of the City’s GIS data and applications.
• Develops, implements, coordinates, and maintains internal technical standards for GIS resources in the City.
• Assures that data quality standards are consistently enforced.
• Participates in the development and testing of an appropriate disaster recovery plan.
• Prepares scope of work and directing activities of consultants and vendors.
• Manages, coordinates, monitors, and evaluates the work of outside contractors in implementing GIS data for the City.
• Works with other governmental agencies to acquire and implement GIS data and applications.
• Assists in guiding City policy in relation to GIS matters.
• Develops long and short-range goals for the GIS sub-division in coordination with the City’s overall business plan.
• Develops and implements policies and procedures relating to GIS system maintenance, operations, and services.
• Assists in defining and providing GIS information needs of the public.
• Assists the IT Director in preparing the budget for GIS related activities.
• Meets and/or exceeds customer expectations with an unparalleled commitment to excellent customer service and positively promoting and enhancing the services and programs offered by the City of Brookhaven.
• Supports other software or applications utilizing the GIS data including, Cityworks, CitySourced, Lucity, and 911 CAD Systems.
• Performs other related duties as required or assigned.
• Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in GIS, geography, planning, civil engineering, computer science, or a related field;
• Five years of increasingly responsible experience in the design, development, implementation and administration of a geographical information system, in particular, the ESRI product line;
• Or equivalent education, and/or experience; and
• Possession of a valid Georgia Class C driver’s license.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Knowledge and understanding of cartographic principles, spatial data models, and statistics.
• Knowledge of modern principles, practices, and techniques of GIS, database and GIS software, including ArcGIS Desktop, ArcGIS Pro, ArcGIS Server/Enterprise, ArcGIS Online, and ArcGIS Apps (i.e., Collector, Operations Dashboard, Survey123, App Builders.).
• Knowledge of GIS design, development, analysis and maintenance.
• Knowledge of methods and techniques of evaluating needs and developing information or database system solutions.
• Knowledge of basic principles of cost analysis and estimating.
• Knowledge of operational characteristics of GIS hardware and software projects.
• Knowledge of principles, methods, and techniques of cartography.
• Knowledge of methods and techniques of supervision, training, and motivation.
• Knowledge of mathematic principles, including algebra, geometry, and statistics.
• Knowledge of methods and techniques of scheduling work assignments.
• Knowledge of principles and practices of municipal budget preparation and administration.
• Knowledge of pertinent federal, state, and local laws, codes, and regulations.
• Knowledge of proficiency with personal computers and Microsoft Office.
• Knowledge of excellent written and oral speaking skills.
• Ability to plan, direct, supervise, and oversee the development of geographic and statistical data.
• Ability to prepare concise, clear, and effective reports.
• Ability to conduct, coordinate, and perform the most difficult and complex GIS activities.
• Ability to understand, evaluate, and translate the needs of GIS users into effective solutions.
• Ability to conduct research, analysis, and data evaluation and make recommendations based on findings.
• Ability to train others in the uses of GIS technology.
• Ability to prepare and present GIS information for meetings and workshops.
• Ability to read and interpret maps, sketches, drawings, specifications, and technical manuals.
• Ability to perform mathematical calculations quickly and accurately.
• Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
• Ability to interpret and apply federal, state, and local policies, laws, and regulations.
• Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit; talk and hear; use hands to finger, handle, feel or operate objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms.
• The employee is occasionally required to walk.
• The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
• Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
• While performing the duties of this job, the employee sits in an office or computer room.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• The employee regularly works in a normal office environment.
• The employee may perform some duties outdoors while conducting official business which will require limited local travel.
• Employee may be required to attend some evening and weekend meetings, and may be required to assist in special events.
The City of Brookhaven is an equal opportunity employer.
The Unified Government of Athens Clarke County is searching for a Systems Analyst II to support GIS and Computer-Aided Dispatch activities in its Police Department and E-911 Center. The successful candidate will plan, design and develop efficient systems and work processes in support of public safety activities county-wide. This is a highly technical position that requires a high level of skill in managing, creating, editing and updating GIS data and web-based map services. The ideal candidate will have a Bachelor’s degree in computer science, information management, GIS, mathematics, or a related field along with 3 or more years of experience in a multi-user environment. The incumbent for this position must also have a valid driver’s license and pass a criminal background check indicating eligibility for access to sensitive public safety information. This position is subject to random drug testing per Athens Clarke County ordinance. Starting pay is $49,944/year. For more information or to apply, please visit www.accgov.com/jobs.
- Type:Full Time
- Salary/Pay Rate:$45,000
- Posted Date:07/23/2019 2:37 pm
- Deadline to Apply:09/20/2019 3:57 pm
To apply, please visit our Career Center .
The City of Sandy Springs is currently accepting applications for a GIS Technician. Qualified applicants will have knowledge of GIS principles as well as practical experience with Esri ArcGIS. The person in this position may be required to collect data in the field and in the office, make online maps, edit existing datasets and provide GIS support to other departments.
The GIS Technician will work under the supervision of the GIS Manager and with the GIS Analyst. This position does not have supervisory responsibilities.
Applicants are preferred to have a Bachelor’s degree or Certificate in Geography, GIS or related field.
• Experience with Esri ArcGIS Pro and ArcGIS Desktop
• Knowledge of GIS principles, including projection, editing, cartography, geodatabases, queries
• Ability to work well with GIS staff as well as other departments
• Ability to follow written and verbal directions, prioritize tasks and communicate progress
• Ability to meet project deadlines
• Desire to continue learning new technologies
Duties and Responsibilities
• Design and produce high quality cartographic products for a variety of city departments such as Public Works, Community Development, Fire Dept., and Emergency Management
• Perform data editing in an enterprise environment
• Interpret detailed plans, photographs, maps, and legal descriptions
• Digitize mapping information from a variety of sources and verify digitized data for accuracy.
• Assist with development and maintenance of GIS data resources to be utilized for public access
• Assist in maintaining web based products including ArcGIS Online content such as web maps and web applications
• Perform spatial analyses and create information products using GIS geoprocessing tools
• Assist staff in troubleshooting basic GIS system functions
• Maintain datasets including addresses, roads, stormwater systems and city assets
• Perform GIS data conversion
• Provide GIS training to City staff
• Coordinate data sharing with outside parties
• Catalog and inventory GIS data, including metadata creation
• Provide GIS staffing support in the Emergency Operations Center (EOC) during emergency activations such as severe weather which may include irregular hours. Training, supervision and standard operating procedures will be provided.
This is a full-time position. The GIS Technician is expected to work on-site Monday – Friday, 8 am – 5 pm. Additional hours may be required to support Emergency Operations and periodic maintenance.
Annual salary for the GIS Technician is $45,000.
The City of Sandy Springs offers a range of benefits, including but not limited to retirement, medical and dental.
An announcement from Randy Hale of North River Geographic Systems, Inc. Please help spread the word.
October 25th 2019
Chattanooga State Technical Community College
Allbright Omniplex Building
4501 Amnicola Highway
Chattanooga TN 37406
We are seeking presentations on use cases centered around QGIS: Gov’t, programming, humanitarian relief, health, etc. Presentations must center around QGIS and related software. If you’re using QGIS with PostGIS – then that’s easy – talk about PostGIS with a QGIS intro. Drones? We’re easy – just make it tie into QGIS
There will be a more colorful website with more information coming very shortly.
Sponsorships are available for $100 and for $50. I will scream your name out during the sessions. I will also try to include some information for attendees.
If the cost is too much email me and you might qualify for the QGIS Chattanooga Big Meeting Scholarship (Details Pending).
There has been some talk about workshops. Right now I have nothing scheduled but email me and I will figure out something to make that happen if people are excited enough to either hold or attend a workshop.
Accommodations if you are spending the night:
I’m working on some places to stay with discounts
Position Title: GIS Manager
Organization: Coastal Regional Commission
Location: Darien GA
Closed Date: September 19, 2019
The Coastal Regional Commission is seeking a motivated Geospatial Information Systems Manager. The GIS Manager position is responsible for meeting the daily geospatial services requirements of the Coastal Regional Commission and assisting member local governments and partner agencies with service requests of a technical nature. These duties typically include the application of GIS technology, website and/or web application design and support, network administration, and general system maintenance. The GIS Manager works under the direct supervision of the Director of Information Services and provides supervision to GIS Analysts within the division
Requirements: Qualified applicants should, at a minimum, possess an undergraduate degree from an accredited college or university as well as have previous experience in relevant information technology fields; or five to seven years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience. This position requires advanced computer application skills.
The Coastal Regional Commission provides services to 10 counties and 35 cities in Coastal Georgia through its offices located in Darien GA. The Information Services Division provides a range of technical services including spatial data maintenance, geospatial web applications, systems administration and cartography.
Salary: DOE, with a competitive benefits package. Deadline: August 29th, 2019.
Job Type: Full-time
Work Schedule: Monday – Thursday 7AM – 5:30PM
E-Mail Cover letter and Resume to email@example.com
Salary Starting Range: $50,000 – 60,000 /year
City of East Point IT Department is currently seeking a Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Intern to
work in our main offices at new City Hall (2757 East Point St., 30344). As part of the team this position
will be assisting interdepartmental projects by creating maps as well as providing geospatial analysis,
research, and customer service. This internship program provides students with an opportunity to gain
valuable experience in various fields such as City Management, Utilities, Planning, Emergency Services,
and Parks & Recreation. We welcome applicants that are passionate about GIS and community
The pay rate for the position is $15.00 per hour and is part‐time/temporary. The selected
applicant(s) may work up to 16 hours per week and the internship is funded until June 2020.
Qualified applicants should submit a letter of interest and resume to Dominic Maldonado, GISP at
DMALDONADO@EASTPOINTCITY.ORG. This position will remain open until filled. The City of East Point is
an Equal Opportunity Employer.
ASSIST IN THE FOLLOWING TASKS:
• GIS data creation and updates
• 3D cartographic visualization for web-GIS
• Geo-reference engineering maps/plans for digital archive
• Map data analysis
• Field data collection at various sites to include historic Sweetwater Creek.
• GIS customer service
• Develop mobile GIS applications
• Research 3D, AR, and real-time solutions
• Other duties as assigned
• High School Diploma or GED equivalent
• 2 semesters of related GIS experience or recent graduate with related coursework
• Current enrollment in an undergraduate or graduate degree program majoring in Geography, GIS,
IT, MIS, CIS, Engineering, Digital Media, Urban Planning, Forestry or closely related field
• Proficient with Esri suite of GIS tools particularly ArcGIS Pro and ArcGIS Online
• Proficient cartographic skills
• Knowledge and experience working with enterprise GIS databases
• Have a working knowledge of the Microsoft Office Suite especially Excel & Teams
• Knowledge of cartographic design principles and practices
• Experience with mobile GIS apps: Esri’s Collector, Survey123, Workforce, Ops-Dash, Insights
• Willingness to learn and contribute to a team environment
EDUCTION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
As an Intern this position is only expected to have 0-3 years of experience so there will be many
opportunities for training and immersive learning. High school diploma or GED required; two years of
experience in mapping, utilizing Computer Aided Drafting (CAD) software, or related field; or any
equivalent combination of education, training, and experience which provides the requisite knowledge,
skills, and abilities for this job.
Newton County is currently seeking applicants for a GIS Analyst position in the GIS Department. The GIS Analyst performs professional level work related to the development, implementation, and maintenance of the County’s geographic information system (GIS). The GIS Analyst works within the GIS Department and helps maintain numerous map layers and databases, performs geospatial analysis, and produces high-quality cartographic products for the general public, elected officials, and County staff.
For a full job description, please click here.
To apply, please click here.
Posting End Date: 8/16/19
Newton County is currently seeking applicants for a GIS Intern position in the GIS Department. Interns are needed to help support the GIS Department’s professional staff with some of the duties listed below. An internship with Newton County will serve as an excellent opportunity for a current college/university student to gain valuable, on-the-job experience while assisting with the development and advancement of the County’s GIS program.
The pay rate for the position is $12/hour and the internship is part-time/temporary. The selected applicant may work up to 20 hours per week and the internship is funded until June 30, 2020.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Operates global positioning system (GPS) equipment and mobile devices to collect field data.
- Produces maps for internal customers and the general public.
- Scans/digitizes paper maps and plans.
- Drafts and updates metadata and other support documentation.
- May edit map layers and geodatabases.
- May design, develop, and deploy web and mobile GIS applications.
- High School Diploma or GED equivalent.
- Current enrollment in a Bachelor’s degree program with a major in Geography, GIS, or closely related field. Graduate students are also encouraged to apply.
- Knowledge of cartographic design principles and practices.
- Experience using Esri ArcGIS Desktop software (ArcMap or ArcGIS Pro).
- Experience with web or mobile GIS applications, such as: ArcGIS Online, Esri’s Collector app, or Trimble GPS.
- Willingness to learn and contribute to a team environment.
A Letter of Interest and Professional Resume listing relevant job experiences and time worked in each position MUST BE RECEIVED for consideration by JULY 29, 2019. Please submit all required documents to firstname.lastname@example.org and cc email@example.com with the subject line GIS INTERN POSITION. You may also bring in or mail your letter of interest and professional resume to Human Resources at 1113 Usher Street, Suite 203, Covington, GA 30014. An application does not need to be submitted for this position.
We will contact by phone or email only those applicants whose qualifications meet our minimum requirements and are selected to move forward in the process. We comply with the Drug Free Workplace Guidelines.
Newton County is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Please join us for this very special Subchapter Member’s Appreciation Lunch by the Lake, July 25, 2019 at beautiful Lake Tobesofkee in Macon, Georgia.
July 25, 2019 11:30am -1:30pm
No Cost to Georgia URISA or MeGA Georgia URISA Subchapter Members for this cook-out with hamburgers, hotdogs and all the fixin’s
RSVP required so that we order enough food. Location of event will be sent after registration.
To register, click here.
You Can’t Spell Georgia Smart without GIS
If you work in state or local government, you have by now heard about the Smart Cities and Smart Communities movement. Hopefully, you are even planning your submission for the next Georgia Smart Communities Challenge. The more we learn about Smart Cities and Communities, the more we’ve observed that all of the most successful projects and initiatives have GIS at their core. Please join us as we discuss how Macon-Bibb GIS is leading the Smart City Strategy at Macon-Bibb Government SmarterTogetherMBC and how that led to our being named to the Georgia Tech’s Georgia Smart Communities Challenge Class of 2019.
For over 15 years, Joe Nabhan has been a noted professional in the GIS industry. His career has spanned public and private sector applications of GIS including government, utilities, Sanborn Map Company and even a ski resort. In these roles, Joe brings a unique combination of technical proficiency and originality to provide value to those organizations and the GIS community.
Most recently, Joe’s work at Macon-Bibb County Government along with GIS Manager Jeff Griffin has received numerous awards. In recognition of their community engagement process, Macon Insights, in 2018 this team received the Georgia Government Management Information Systems (GMIS) Project of the Year Award, the GMIS International Best Practices Award and the Technology Association of Georgia (TAG) Excalibur Award for the Education/Government/Non-Profit Category. This year, they received the 2019 Georgia GMIS Best Practices Award for the Macon Insights Data Academy. Joe personally received the 2019 Spirit of Georgia GMIS Award.
Jeff Griffin is the GIS Manager at Macon-Bibb County Government in Macon, Georgia and a multiple award-winning technology leader. In 2019, he was named the GMIS (Government Management Information Sciences) Outstanding Professional of the Year , his agency’s project, MaconInsights Data Academy was also named GMIS 2019 Project of the Year. In 2018 he led the creation and implementation of MaconInsights the GMIS Project of the Year for Georgia, as well as GMIS International Best Practices Award. Finally, MaconInsights received the 2018 Excalibur Award by the Technology Association of Georgia (TAG).
A 2005 graduate of the University of Georgia’s Carl Vincent Institute for Local Government Management and 2017 graduate of the URISA Leadership academy, Jeff champions collaboration, self-awareness and continuous process improvement as hallmarks of effective leadership in government.