Georgia Urban and Regional Information Systems Association
Georgia URISA is a proud chapter of the Urban and Regional Information Systems Association (URISA). The Georgia URISA Chapter is an organization of professionals using Geographic Information Systems (GIS) and other information technologies to solve challenges at the state, county, and local government levels. In addition, we collaborate with various private sector agencies that utilizes GIS.
URISA is a non-profit professional and educational association that promotes the effective and ethical use of spatial information and information technologies for the understanding and management of urban and regional systems. It is a multidisciplinary association where professionals from all parts of the spatial data community can come together and share concerns and ideas.
For more information about URISA, go to www.urisa.org.
Georgia URISA holds networking lunches the second Tuesday of every month. More details can be found here. Click on the event below to reserve your space now.
GA URISA News
The Banks County GIS/Mapping Department is accepting applications for a Full time GIS
mapper. This position start date is January 20, 2020
The primary purpose of this position is to use geographic information system applications to
compile and update digital parcel tax mapping based on information from metes and bounds
descriptions on recorded deeds and surveyed plats; must interpret, read and prepare digital
and or printed maps, and perform all related data entry in WinGAP database.
Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s Degree in Civil Engineering, Planning, Computer Science
or closely related field preferred; additionally, one-year mapping, surveying or closely related
field required; project oriented and resourceful; or any equivalent combination of education,
training and experience which provides the requisite knowledge, skills and abilities for this
Banks County is an EOE and a Drug Free Workplace. Please apply online at
co.banks.ga.us/dept-human-relations.html or in person at the Human Resource office
located in the Banks County Courthouse Annex Building at 150 Hudson Ridge, Suite 1, Homer,
Salary based on qualifications. Experience preferred but willing to train.
Deadline for applications will be Open Until Filled
Newton County, Georgia (est. population 110,000) is currently seeking applicants for a GIS Analyst position in the GIS Department. An analyst is needed to help support the County’s GIS staff with some of the duties listed below. Depending on qualifications and experience, this position would hold the title of GIS Analyst I, II, or III with an annual entry-level salary of $36,971 to $46,550.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Operates global positioning system (GPS) equipment and mobile devices to collect field data.
- Produces maps for internal customers and the general public.
- Scans/digitizes paper maps and plans.
- Drafts and updates metadata and other support documentation.
- Edits map layers and geodatabases.
- May design, develop, and deploy web and mobile GIS applications.
- High School Diploma or GED equivalent (required).
- Bachelor’s Degree with a major in Geography, GIS, or closely related field (preferred).
- Knowledge of cartographic design principles and practices.
- Experience using Esri ArcGIS Desktop software (ArcMap or ArcGIS Pro).
- Experience with web or mobile GIS applications, such as: ArcGIS Online, Esri’s Collector app, or Trimble GPS.
- Willingness to learn and contribute to a team environment.
To apply, please complete an application on our website by 3pm on January 17, 2020:
We will contact by phone or email only those applicants whose qualifications meet our minimum requirements and are selected to move forward in the process. We comply with the Drug Free Workplace Guidelines.
Newton County is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
- Type:Full Time
- Salary/Pay Rate:$21.63 per hour
- Posted Date:11/12/2019
- Deadline to Apply:11/30/2019
To apply, please visit our Career Center .
The City of Sandy Springs is currently accepting applications for a GIS Technician. Qualified applicants will have knowledge of GIS principles as well as practical experience with Esri ArcGIS. The person in this position may be required to collect data in the field and in the office, make online and hardcopy maps, edit existing datasets and provide GIS support to other departments.
The GIS Technician will work under the supervision of the GIS Manager and with the GIS Analyst. This position does not have supervisory responsibilities.
Applicants are preferred to have a Bachelor’s degree or Certificate in Geography, GIS or related field. The successful candidate will have a drive to learn new skills and technologies while providing excellent support to staff and citizens.
Experience with Esri ArcGIS Pro and ArcGIS Desktop
Knowledge of GIS principles, including projection, editing, cartography, geodatabases, queries
Ability to work well with GIS staff as well as other departments
Ability to follow written and verbal directions, prioritize tasks and communicate progress
Ability to meet project deadlines, some of which have short turnaround requirements
Desire to continue learning new technologies
Duties and Responsibilities
Design and produce high quality cartographic products for a variety of city departments such as Public Works, Community Development, Fire Department, and Emergency Management
Perform data editing in an enterprise versioned environment. Datasets include addresses, roads, stormwater infrastructure and city assets
Digitize mapping information from a variety of sources and verify digitized data for accuracy.
Interpret detailed plans, photographs, maps, and legal descriptions
Assist with development and maintenance of GIS data resources to be utilized for public access
Assist in maintaining web based products including ArcGIS Online content such as web maps and web applications
Perform spatial analyses and create information products using GIS geoprocessing tools
Perform GIS data conversion
Provide GIS staffing support in the Emergency Operations Center (EOC) during emergency activations such as severe weather which may include irregular hours. Training, supervision and standard operating procedures will be provided.
This is a full-time position. The GIS Technician is expected to work on-site Monday – Friday, 8 am – 5 pm. Additional hours may be required to support Emergency Operations and periodic maintenance.
This is an hourly position at $21.63 per hour.
The City of Sandy Springs offers a range of benefits, including but not limited to retirement, medical and dental.
The City of Hinesville is accepting applications for a Geographic Information Systems Technician in the Inspections Department. The position is responsible for the development and maintenance of GIS data of the City of Hinesville and Liberty County.
- Collecting data and information from a variety of sources for the development and maintenance of the GIS databases.
- Managing reoccurring and as-needed data and map requests
- Performs GIS data creation, manipulation, management, and analysis, such as digitizing, georeferencing, geocoding, editing, COGO, and querying both spatial and non-spatial data.
- Works with various City of Hinesville Departments and Liberty County to determine their needs for GIS services and provide recommendations.
- Performs other duties, as assigned
A Bachelor’s Degree in Geography, or related field, with major course work in Geographic Information Systems is required, or two (2) years of professional experience with Geographic Information Systems.
Applicants must also have experience in the use of ESRI products including ArcGIS for Desktop 10.0 or higher and ArcGIS Online; working knowledge of Microsoft Office; Strong problem solving, time management and verbal/written communication skills including ability to communicate effectively with customers and the ability to multi-task and complete projects in a timely manner.
Minimum starting salary is $38,402.54 plus excellent benefits. The position closes on Friday, December 6, 2019 at 5:00 p.m.
Please submit applications online at: https://ga-hinesville.civicplushrms.com/careers
THE CITY OF HINESVILLE IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The City of Tucker is a relatively recently (2016) established city in the northeastern Atlanta suburbs. Despite its youth, Tucker an extremely close-knit city with many active community groups who regularly collaborate with city government. Due to its young age, the city has also retained many of its founding councilpeople and the original mayor who take an active role in shaping the city to the wishes of its citizens. This has resulted in a government that works with great focus and determination in reaching its goals which are greatly enhanced by its enterprise-level GIS Department.
As our ideal candidate, you possess:
• A passion for GIS to improve our community
• Exceptional, customer service-oriented work ethic
• GIS technical and cartographic skills
• Ability to bring new and imaginative ideas
• Interests and experience in urban planning/city planning GIS or similar fields
• Strong written and oral communication skills
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Interpret detailed plans, photographs, maps, and legal descriptions including addresses, roads, zoning, and various city-owned assets.
• Perform spatial analyses and create information products utilizing GIS geoprocessing tools.
• Assist in user experience testing of web applications.
• Perform spatial analysis and creating information products (maps, reports, etc.) using advanced GIS geoprocessing tools and processes
• Maintain key data sets such as addresses, roads, utilities and other assets
• Publishing content to and administering ArcGIS Online (content, groups, users, permissions, etc.)
• Develop GIS tools and applications that engage staff and community
• Develop and implement GIS standards, policies and procedures
• Provide training and support to GIS users as necessary
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
• A passion for GIS and data science
• Knowledge of mapping and database software packages such as ArcGIS
• Ability to diagnose and troubleshoot software problems
• Ability to follow written and verbal directions, prioritize a list of tasks, and communicate progress and results
• Excellent written and oral communications skills
PREFERRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
• 2-5 years of experience in, preferably local government, GIS.
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
• Regular attendance at meetup groups, conferences, or other industry events
• Experience working with some or all of the following Esri tools: Survey123, Collector for ArcGIS, ArcGIS Community Analyst, ArcGIS Hub, ArcGIS Urban
• Volunteer experience a plus
Classification: Full-time, exempt
Salary Range: $50,000 – $60,000
Reports to: Location Intelligence Lead
Under general supervision, the purpose of the position is to provide technical support for multiple projects and to create and organize spatial and tabular data by way of geographic information systems. Employee in this classification function in a senior capacity, to perform work both specialized and technical in nature, and are responsible for developing, updating and maintaining complex database information using current technologies. Work includes high-level GIS operations, database administration with communication and interpersonal skills to establish and maintain effective working relationships with City departments, outside agencies and organizations, and the general public.
The Liberty County Board of Commissioners is currently accepting applications for a GIS Analyst within the Information Technology department. This position is responsible for management
of the county’s geographic information system (GIS).
The selected applicant must be motivated, independent, and ready to help establish workflows and procedures within this new division of the Information Technology department.
Applicants must download an official application from the Liberty County website:
https://www.libertycountyga.com/egov/documents/1440444143_66428.pdf and submit the signed application in person or via email or fax before the applicant can be considered for
GIS Mapper Needed
The Madison County Board of Tax Assessors is accepting applications for a GIS
mapper. This position start date will be January 06, 2020
Major duties are: To Prepare computer-based assessment tax maps and GIS datasets
showing map features, property boundaries, platted lots, recorded bearings and
distances, parcel numbers, etc.; performs coordinate geometry or the data conversion
process in which a digital map is constructed from written legal descriptions of land
parcel boundaries; maintains and publishes surface tax maps in accordance with state
mapping guidelines and standards; provides support for the enterprise digital tax map
systems via GIS desktop, mobile, and web applications; assists the public by providing
information and answering questions regarding properties and tax maps; and functions
as a positive and cooperative team member of the Assessor’s office.
Minimum Qualifications: Two years of post-secondary education or training in
Geographic Information Systems (GIS), computer aided drafting, or related field. Basic
understanding of digital mapping concepts, coordinate systems, projections, etc.
Preferred Qualifications: Cadastral cartographic experience using GIS software with
land record applications. One year of practical use with ESRI software to include
ArcGIS desktop editing tools and ArcGIS mobile applications.
Madison County is an EOE and a Drug Free Workplace. Please apply online at
madisoncountyga.us or in person at the Human Resource office located in the
Government Complex Building at 91 Albany Ave Danielsville, GA 30633
Deadline for applications will be 11/22/2019
GDH is looking for GIS Technician for a long-term contract with a fantastic client. This position is located in the Tucker, GA area. Our client is looking for someone proficient with ESRI suite of GIS tools with ideally 2 years of related GIS experience or a recent Geography based college graduate with GIS coursework.
Working knowledge of GIS concepts, including editing environments, mapping projections, data conversion, map production, cartographic design principles, and digitizing
Knowledge and experience working with enterprise GIS databases
Basic knowledge of Microsoft Office applications, such as Word, PowerPoint, and Excel
Strong written and verbal communication skills
Demonstrated problem solving skills and initiative
Please send updated resume to Jessica Ebersole at firstname.lastname@example.org
• GIS data manipulation and visualization
• Combining datasets from many sources to create cartographic products
• Creating exhibit maps to be used with land acquisition documents
• Producing project update maps and feasibility study maps
• Enterprise data management
• GIS experience or recent Geography based college graduate with GIS coursework
• Proficient with ESRI suite of GIS tools especially ArcGIS Editor environment
• Proficient cartographic skills
• Knowledge and experience working with enterprise GIS databases
• Excellent written and oral communication skills
• Exceptional organizational and project/workload management skills
For more information, please contact Kaitlyn at email@example.com.