Georgia Urban and Regional Information Systems Association
For more information about URISA, go to www.urisa.org.
Georgia URISA holds networking lunches the second Tuesday of every month. More details can be found here. Click on the event below to reserve your space now.
GA URISA News
ERM is seeking a detailed, self-starting CAD/GIS Operator to join our consulting firm in Atlanta, Georgia. You will provide high-quality drafting support to our Project Managers and Partners for a range of site investigation, remediation, design, construction/demolition management, and environmental compliance and planning projects across the U.S. This is a great opportunity to work with a global environmental leader in an exciting industry!
- Provide high-quality technical support for drafting, graphics, data visualization, ArcMap and AutoCAD needs on projects and proposals, while successfully juggling multiple deadline-driven tasks.
- Prepare site plans and grading plans using AutoCAD and Civil 3D (not mandatory but considered a plus).
- Prepare groundwater elevation and contaminant concentration contour maps, geological cross-sections, 2D/3D visualization (EVS/MVS or equivalent), and conceptual site model depictions.
- Prepare grading plans, cut/fill cross-sections, process flow diagrams, piping & instrumentation diagrams, and civil/mechanical design details.
- Work within quality/budget/schedule expectations and scope-specific assignments.
- Complete work assignments in accordance with ERM’s management system, format and quality standards.
- Associates or BA/BS degree, or relevant technical trade school certification, and 5+ years of relevant experience (preferably in environmental consulting/services industry).
- Experience preparing/delivering work described above and using relevant software.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Effective written/verbal communication and organization/analytical skills; proven problem solving abilities.
- Ability to succeed in a consulting pace, handling multiple project assignments with different people both in the Atlanta office and other ERM offices, and maintaining flexibility, while meeting strict deadlines.
- Local candidates preferred
Please submit your resume and brief cover letter below. Qualified candidates will be contacted by email, and requested to complete a pre-interview questionnaire. Based on review of these responses, shortlisted candidates will be invited for interviews. Thank you for your interest in ERM!
Environmental Resources Management (ERM) is a leading global provider of environmental, health, safety, risk, social consulting services and sustainability related services. We have more than 160 offices in over 40 countries and territories employing more than 4,500 people who work on projects around the world. ERM is committed to providing a service that is consistent, professional and of the highest quality to create value for our clients. We have worked with many of the Global Fortune 500 companies delivering innovative solutions for business and selected government clients helping them understand and manage the sustainability challenges that the world is increasingly facing.
For over 40 years we have been working with clients around the world and in diverse industry sectors to help them to understand and manage their environmental, health, safety, risk and social impacts. The key sectors we serve include Oil & Gas, Mining, Power, and Manufacturing, Chemical and Pharmaceutical. All face critical sustainability challenges and our clients in these and many other areas rely on our ability to assist them operate more sustainably which has a positive impact on our planet.
Our people are outstanding, our workplace is energized! And we continuously strive to be the preferred place for environmental and other professionals to build meaningful and rewarding careers.
ERM is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
ERM does not accept recruiting agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, ERM employees or any other company location. ERM is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
For more information see here.
|Intown Chapter’s Quarterly Happy Hour – Atlanta, Georgia|
What: Intown Chapter’s Quarterly Happy Hour
Where: Fado Midtown @ 933 Peachtree St NE, Atlanta, GA 30309
When: Thursday, September 14th / 6pm to 8pm (Presentation starts @ 6:30pm)
This event is FREE and open to the public / No registration required / All Welcome
Presentation Description: Train derailments involving passenger cars or hazardous materials has been a potential threat to public safety with the increased traffic on our roadways and railways, and the intersection of both. In 2008 Congress mandated that American railroads develop technology to automatically stop a train that is detected to be traveling in an unsafe manner. This technology, Positive Train Control (PTC), is harnessing all the technology of the 21st Century to make our railways even safer. GIS technology is the starring role in PTC technology, as it binds all the data together into one onboard file for the engineer to engage. Come to our happy hour on September 14th to hear the challenges Norfolk Southern has faced in creating PTC technology, and how NSGIS has met all of these challenges with innovative scripting tools and comprehensive QA workflows to deliver concrete rail topologies meeting annual federal mandates.
Presenter’s Bio: Ona Strikas began her love affair with GIS while studying Environmental Science and Public Policy at Harvard University for her Bachelor’s degree. She then followed her environmental passion out west to work in salmon restoration in Washington State. Thereafter selecting and completing a Master’s Degree in Geography at Florida State University with a Master’s thesis describing the spatial statistics of airmass-thunderstorm-produced lightning over North Georgia. She has specialized in vector data, and linear referenced systems, by way of hydrology and transportation research projects. Ona joined Norfolk Southern Engineering Department’s Positive Train Control GIS team in January 2017, her most fulfilling GIS occupation to date.
Assists the public by telephone, mail, and in person with information related to city maps, addresses, and other geographic data. Assigns street addresses utilizing standard procedures to determine new and corrected addresses. Conducts property research to assure correct mapping information. Produces and distributes address letters; produces and distributes map prints. Interpolates deeds and plats; inputs graphic and non-graphic land data in to the Geographic Information System (GIS). Performs various drafting and typesetting duties in the production of stationary, brochures, maps, and other printed materials. Operates equipment to print a variety of forms, booklets, and other items. Performs a variety of clerical, administrative, and data entry tasks; compiles information and prepares reports; tracks and processes documents; enters and retrieves data. Performs other related duties as assigned.
Coordinates and oversees the assignment and maintenance of property addresses and street names for Hall County.
- The position is responsible for preparing address information, updating and maintaining address databases, responding to discrepancies and inquiries, and assisting staff with related tasks.
- Develops and maintains base maps and performs associated mapping functions using geographic information system (GIS) software and databases; analyze and edits geographic data; performs GIS computerized mapping functions; and provide technical services and support.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Updates and maintains the master street address database.
- Reviews proposed road names and addresses to ensure that they are in compliance with the road naming and addressing policies.
- Assigns addresses to new subdivisions and property splits, new commercial & industrial development and other properties as necessary.
- Consults with postal officials, E-911 personnel, utility providers, and other local government departments regarding newly assigned addresses and other addressing issues.
- Investigates, researches, and responds to address discrepancies, inquiries or concerns; accurately diagnoses and corrects a wide variety of addressing issues;
- Responds to public requests for any addressing questions, issues, or concerns.
- Creates and produces various maps, datasets, or other GIS-related products; produces hardcopy maps and visual aids for public officials, departments, the public, and other interested parties as appropriate; consults with users to identify needs; produces various reports and map projects.
- Provides technical support and assistance to system users, public officials, and others as appropriate: trains and instructs staff members on use of GIS software and other software applications; provides information and technical assistance regarding mapping issues or related issues; provides information, researches problems, and initiates problem resolution.
- Communicates with supervisor, employees, other departments, the public, outside agencies, and other individuals as needed to coordinate work activities, review status of work, exchange information, or resolve problems.
- Develops GIS applications for various departments to provide customized GIS functionality needed by specific departments and users.
- Works with end-users to develop specifications to meet specific applications.
- Provides user support, training, and technical assistance.
- Assists in set-up, installation, and maintenance of computer hardware and software.
- Regular and predictable attendance is required.
- Performs other related duties as required.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS REQUIRED:
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Geographic Information Systems, Computer Science or related field.
- Three years’ experience with GIS required and background in ESRI ArcGIS software. Any combination of education and experience that provides equivalent knowledge, skills, and abilities stated above.
Licenses and Certifications:
- Valid class C Driver’s License and satisfactory motor vehicle record.
- Current GISP Certification preferred.
ADA Minimum Qualifications:
Physical Ability: Essential functions of this position continuously require the ability to remain in a stationary position (sitting or standing); operate a computer and other office machinery, such as a calculator, copier, and printer. Incumbents must continuously be able to think analytically; handle stress and emotion, concentrate on tasks, remember names and other details; examine and observe details; make decisions, and adjust to change. Incumbents must also continuously direct others; meet deadlines; stay organized; use math/calculations and use a keyboard/type.
Essential Functions frequently require the ability to move about inside the office; and move/transport items up to 10lbs.
Essential functions occasionally require the ability to bend body downward and forward by bending spine and legs, and twisting at the waist, hips or knees; reach overhead; push or pull; and repetitively use hands/arms/legs. Incumbents in this position are occasionally required to be on-call and work irregular hours.
Sensory Requirements: Essential functions regularly require the ability to use effective verbal and written communication; and use of hand/eye coordination and fine manipulation to use equipment.
Environmental Factors: Essential functions of this position continuously require the ability to either work with others or work alone. Essential functions are occasionally performed with exposure to adverse environmental conditions, including inclement weather; extreme hot or cold temperatures.
Employment Opportunity – Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Analyst
The Middle Georgia Regional Commission is seeking to fill the position of Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Analyst. The GIS Analyst position is responsible for meeting the daily information technology requirements of the Middle Georgia Regional Commission (MGRC) and assisting member local governments and partner agencies with service requests of a technical nature. These duties typically include the application of GIS technology, website and/or web application design and support, network administration, and general systems maintenance. The GIS Analyst works under the direct supervision of the Director of Technology Services.
Qualified applicants should, at a minimum, possess an undergraduate degree from an accredited college or university as well as have previous experience in relevant information technology fields; or five to seven years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience. This position requires advanced computer application skills.
The Middle Georgia Regional Commission provides services to 11 counties and 20 cities in Middle Georgia through its office located in Macon, Georgia. Interested persons should submit a cover letter, resume, and three references to:
Middle Georgia Regional Commission
Attention: Jen Doran
175 Emery Highway
Macon, GA 31217
by e-mail to email@example.com.
Applications will be accepted for this position until September 05, 2017. Candidates for the position will be subject to a criminal background check, motor vehicle license verification, pre-employment drug screening and skills assessments.
The Middle Georgia Regional Commission is an equal employment opportunity employer.
Transcend Spatial Solutions is looking for motivated full-time GIS Analysts with a background in GIS and good problem solving skills.
Transcend is a small, well-established and rapidly-growing geospatial IT consulting firm and software development company. We focus on GIS products and services for the transportation industry. It’s our goal to maintain the small company feel where doors are kept open, camaraderie is high, and hard work is rewarded. Our core GIS activities revolve around the ArcGIS suite of products, spatial data migration and analysis, linear referencing systems, LiDAR and point cloud data, and transportation and rail GIS.
Transcend’s GIS Analysts are on the front lines of solving business problems with GIS and spatial data. Esri ArcGIS and the Esri Extensions are used in most of our client engagements, and a strong background in spatial data maintenance and analysis is required. Good problem solving is necessary, as new and challenging business process and data problems arise with our clients daily.
Successful applicants will work in the Atlanta area at client sites and at the Transcend office. No telecommuting is allowed for these positions. Pay is commensurate with years of experience.
The City of Covington is currently seeking applicants for a GIS Intern position in the GIS Department. An intern is needed to help support the City’s professional GIS staff with some of the duties listed below, and to collaborate with Newton County employees, as well. This internship will serve as an excellent opportunity for a current college/university student to gain valuable, on-the-job experience while assisting with the development and advancement of Covington’s GIS program.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Operates global positioning system (GPS) equipment and mobile devices to collect field data.
• Produces maps for internal customers and the general public.
• Scans/digitizes paper maps and plans.
• Drafts and updates metadata and other support documentation.
• May edit map layers and geodatabases.
• May design, develop, and deploy web and mobile GIS applications.
• High School Diploma or GED equivalent.
• Current enrollment in a Bachelor’s degree program with a major in Geography, GIS, or closely related field. Graduate students are also encouraged to apply.
• Knowledge of cartographic design principles and practices.
• Experience using Esri ArcGIS Desktop software (ArcMap or ArcGIS Pro).
• Experience with web or mobile GIS applications, such as: ArcGIS Online, Esri’s Collector app, or Trimble GPS.
• Willingness to learn and contribute to a team environment.
The pay rate for the position is $12/hour and the internship is part-time/temporary. The selected applicant(s) may work up to 29.5 hours per week and the internship is funded until June 30, 2018. Qualified applicants should submit a letter of interest and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org by August 4, 2017. No phone calls, please.
The City of Covington is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Mitigation Management is an environmental consulting firm specializing in mitigation credit sales, restoration design and project management, and environmental market analysis. If you join Mitigation Management, you will become part of a fast-paced and dedicated team that works together to provide our clients with the highest possible level of service and advice. As a member of Mitigation Management’s team, we would ask for your commitment to deliver outstanding quality and results that exceed client expectations. In addition, we expect your personal accountability in all the products, actions, advice and results that you provide as a representative of Mitigation Management. In return, we are committed to providing you with every opportunity to learn, grow and stretch to the highest level of your ability and potential. We are confident you will find this new opportunity both challenging and rewarding.
Title: GIS Analyst
Job description: Mitigation Management is looking for a GIS Analyst with strong cartographic, data management, analytical and communication skills. The successful candidate will be responsible for providing GIS support to MM’s Services and Sales teams. Common projects would include stream and wetland analysis, watershed studies and parcel data analysis.
Start date: Flexible depending on experience of candidate.
Salary: Commensurate with experience.
Group benefits: Health insurance stipend (after 90-days) and Simple IRA (after 1 year).
Hours of work: This position typically requires a minimum of 40 hours per week.
Vacation: This position would be granted 13 days of paid time off (vacation and sick days) on an annual basis. Mitigation Management also observes the following six paid holidays in addition to the 13 days of paid time off: Memorial Day, July 4th, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day, and New Year’s Day.
Following the initial 90-days of employment, a progression and performance review will be conducted on an as needed basis to assess performance to-date, and to clarify or modify this arrangement, as the need may arise. This arrangement may be terminated by either party upon notice in writing to either party with notice that complies with Employment Standards (or Labor Standards) for the State of Georgia. We look forward to the opportunity to work with you in an atmosphere that is successful, mutually challenging, and rewarding.
Georgia URISA is seeking nominations for the Membership Chair Board position. Those interested should send any questions or a brief bio and a short statement explaining why you would like to be Membership Chair to the Secretary by June 30, 2017. The Board will notify the successful applicant in July/August.
GISCI New Exam Update