Georgia Urban and Regional Information Systems Association
Georgia URISA is a proud chapter of the Urban and Regional Information Systems Association (URISA). The Georgia URISA Chapter is an organization of professionals using Geographic Information Systems (GIS) and other information technologies to solve challenges at the state, county, and local government levels. In addition, we collaborate with various private sector agencies that utilizes GIS.
URISA is a non-profit professional and educational association that promotes the effective and ethical use of spatial information and information technologies for the understanding and management of urban and regional systems. It is a multidisciplinary association where professionals from all parts of the spatial data community can come together and share concerns and ideas.
For more information about URISA, go to www.urisa.org.
Georgia URISA holds networking lunches the second Tuesday of every month. More details can be found here. Click on the event below to reserve your space now.
GA URISA News
- Type:Full Time
- Salary/Pay Rate:$21.63 per hour
- Posted Date:11/12/2019
- Deadline to Apply:11/30/2019
To apply, please visit our Career Center .
The City of Sandy Springs is currently accepting applications for a GIS Technician. Qualified applicants will have knowledge of GIS principles as well as practical experience with Esri ArcGIS. The person in this position may be required to collect data in the field and in the office, make online and hardcopy maps, edit existing datasets and provide GIS support to other departments.
The GIS Technician will work under the supervision of the GIS Manager and with the GIS Analyst. This position does not have supervisory responsibilities.
Applicants are preferred to have a Bachelor’s degree or Certificate in Geography, GIS or related field. The successful candidate will have a drive to learn new skills and technologies while providing excellent support to staff and citizens.
Experience with Esri ArcGIS Pro and ArcGIS Desktop
Knowledge of GIS principles, including projection, editing, cartography, geodatabases, queries
Ability to work well with GIS staff as well as other departments
Ability to follow written and verbal directions, prioritize tasks and communicate progress
Ability to meet project deadlines, some of which have short turnaround requirements
Desire to continue learning new technologies
Duties and Responsibilities
Design and produce high quality cartographic products for a variety of city departments such as Public Works, Community Development, Fire Department, and Emergency Management
Perform data editing in an enterprise versioned environment. Datasets include addresses, roads, stormwater infrastructure and city assets
Digitize mapping information from a variety of sources and verify digitized data for accuracy.
Interpret detailed plans, photographs, maps, and legal descriptions
Assist with development and maintenance of GIS data resources to be utilized for public access
Assist in maintaining web based products including ArcGIS Online content such as web maps and web applications
Perform spatial analyses and create information products using GIS geoprocessing tools
Perform GIS data conversion
Provide GIS staffing support in the Emergency Operations Center (EOC) during emergency activations such as severe weather which may include irregular hours. Training, supervision and standard operating procedures will be provided.
This is a full-time position. The GIS Technician is expected to work on-site Monday – Friday, 8 am – 5 pm. Additional hours may be required to support Emergency Operations and periodic maintenance.
This is an hourly position at $21.63 per hour.
The City of Sandy Springs offers a range of benefits, including but not limited to retirement, medical and dental.
The City of Hinesville is accepting applications for a Geographic Information Systems Technician in the Inspections Department. The position is responsible for the development and maintenance of GIS data of the City of Hinesville and Liberty County.
- Collecting data and information from a variety of sources for the development and maintenance of the GIS databases.
- Managing reoccurring and as-needed data and map requests
- Performs GIS data creation, manipulation, management, and analysis, such as digitizing, georeferencing, geocoding, editing, COGO, and querying both spatial and non-spatial data.
- Works with various City of Hinesville Departments and Liberty County to determine their needs for GIS services and provide recommendations.
- Performs other duties, as assigned
A Bachelor’s Degree in Geography, or related field, with major course work in Geographic Information Systems is required, or two (2) years of professional experience with Geographic Information Systems.
Applicants must also have experience in the use of ESRI products including ArcGIS for Desktop 10.0 or higher and ArcGIS Online; working knowledge of Microsoft Office; Strong problem solving, time management and verbal/written communication skills including ability to communicate effectively with customers and the ability to multi-task and complete projects in a timely manner.
Minimum starting salary is $38,402.54 plus excellent benefits. The position closes on Friday, December 6, 2019 at 5:00 p.m.
Please submit applications online at: https://ga-hinesville.civicplushrms.com/careers
THE CITY OF HINESVILLE IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The City of Tucker is a relatively recently (2016) established city in the northeastern Atlanta suburbs. Despite its youth, Tucker an extremely close-knit city with many active community groups who regularly collaborate with city government. Due to its young age, the city has also retained many of its founding councilpeople and the original mayor who take an active role in shaping the city to the wishes of its citizens. This has resulted in a government that works with great focus and determination in reaching its goals which are greatly enhanced by its enterprise-level GIS Department.
As our ideal candidate, you possess:
• A passion for GIS to improve our community
• Exceptional, customer service-oriented work ethic
• GIS technical and cartographic skills
• Ability to bring new and imaginative ideas
• Interests and experience in urban planning/city planning GIS or similar fields
• Strong written and oral communication skills
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Interpret detailed plans, photographs, maps, and legal descriptions including addresses, roads, zoning, and various city-owned assets.
• Perform spatial analyses and create information products utilizing GIS geoprocessing tools.
• Assist in user experience testing of web applications.
• Perform spatial analysis and creating information products (maps, reports, etc.) using advanced GIS geoprocessing tools and processes
• Maintain key data sets such as addresses, roads, utilities and other assets
• Publishing content to and administering ArcGIS Online (content, groups, users, permissions, etc.)
• Develop GIS tools and applications that engage staff and community
• Develop and implement GIS standards, policies and procedures
• Provide training and support to GIS users as necessary
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
• A passion for GIS and data science
• Knowledge of mapping and database software packages such as ArcGIS
• Ability to diagnose and troubleshoot software problems
• Ability to follow written and verbal directions, prioritize a list of tasks, and communicate progress and results
• Excellent written and oral communications skills
PREFERRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
• 2-5 years of experience in, preferably local government, GIS.
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
• Regular attendance at meetup groups, conferences, or other industry events
• Experience working with some or all of the following Esri tools: Survey123, Collector for ArcGIS, ArcGIS Community Analyst, ArcGIS Hub, ArcGIS Urban
• Volunteer experience a plus
Classification: Full-time, exempt
Salary Range: $50,000 – $60,000
Reports to: Location Intelligence Lead
Under general supervision, the purpose of the position is to provide technical support for multiple projects and to create and organize spatial and tabular data by way of geographic information systems. Employee in this classification function in a senior capacity, to perform work both specialized and technical in nature, and are responsible for developing, updating and maintaining complex database information using current technologies. Work includes high-level GIS operations, database administration with communication and interpersonal skills to establish and maintain effective working relationships with City departments, outside agencies and organizations, and the general public.
The Liberty County Board of Commissioners is currently accepting applications for a GIS Analyst within the Information Technology department. This position is responsible for management
of the county’s geographic information system (GIS).
The selected applicant must be motivated, independent, and ready to help establish workflows and procedures within this new division of the Information Technology department.
Applicants must download an official application from the Liberty County website:
https://www.libertycountyga.com/egov/documents/1440444143_66428.pdf and submit the signed application in person or via email or fax before the applicant can be considered for
GIS Mapper Needed
The Madison County Board of Tax Assessors is accepting applications for a GIS
mapper. This position start date will be January 06, 2020
Major duties are: To Prepare computer-based assessment tax maps and GIS datasets
showing map features, property boundaries, platted lots, recorded bearings and
distances, parcel numbers, etc.; performs coordinate geometry or the data conversion
process in which a digital map is constructed from written legal descriptions of land
parcel boundaries; maintains and publishes surface tax maps in accordance with state
mapping guidelines and standards; provides support for the enterprise digital tax map
systems via GIS desktop, mobile, and web applications; assists the public by providing
information and answering questions regarding properties and tax maps; and functions
as a positive and cooperative team member of the Assessor’s office.
Minimum Qualifications: Two years of post-secondary education or training in
Geographic Information Systems (GIS), computer aided drafting, or related field. Basic
understanding of digital mapping concepts, coordinate systems, projections, etc.
Preferred Qualifications: Cadastral cartographic experience using GIS software with
land record applications. One year of practical use with ESRI software to include
ArcGIS desktop editing tools and ArcGIS mobile applications.
Madison County is an EOE and a Drug Free Workplace. Please apply online at
madisoncountyga.us or in person at the Human Resource office located in the
Government Complex Building at 91 Albany Ave Danielsville, GA 30633
Deadline for applications will be 11/22/2019
GDH is looking for GIS Technician for a long-term contract with a fantastic client. This position is located in the Tucker, GA area. Our client is looking for someone proficient with ESRI suite of GIS tools with ideally 2 years of related GIS experience or a recent Geography based college graduate with GIS coursework.
Working knowledge of GIS concepts, including editing environments, mapping projections, data conversion, map production, cartographic design principles, and digitizing
Knowledge and experience working with enterprise GIS databases
Basic knowledge of Microsoft Office applications, such as Word, PowerPoint, and Excel
Strong written and verbal communication skills
Demonstrated problem solving skills and initiative
Please send updated resume to Jessica Ebersole at email@example.com
• GIS data manipulation and visualization
• Combining datasets from many sources to create cartographic products
• Creating exhibit maps to be used with land acquisition documents
• Producing project update maps and feasibility study maps
• Enterprise data management
• GIS experience or recent Geography based college graduate with GIS coursework
• Proficient with ESRI suite of GIS tools especially ArcGIS Editor environment
• Proficient cartographic skills
• Knowledge and experience working with enterprise GIS databases
• Excellent written and oral communication skills
• Exceptional organizational and project/workload management skills
For more information, please contact Kaitlyn at firstname.lastname@example.org.
This highly technical position will ensure the successful function of the Department’s geospatial functions. The incumbent will manage and update core datasets, perform research, and maintain mapping applications. The successful candidate should have a Bachelor’s degree in planning/land use, public administration, or a related field with course work in geography, cartography, landscape architecture, geographic information systems, or related areas with two years of experience involving GIS database design and implementation with the production and maintenance of GIS data layers. Must possess a valid driver’s license. Compensation is $47,565/year, plus fulltime benefits. For a complete announcement or to apply, please visit www.accgov.com/jobs.
The City of Brookhaven, located in metro Atlanta, is seeking highly qualified applicants for a GIS Manager in the IT Department.
Under general direction of the IT Director, manages, designs, documents, coordinates, plans, implements and participates in the input, update, and maintenance of data for the City’s Geographic Information System (GIS); manages project teams; identifies resources and establishes project objectives and timelines; and develops city-wide standards for GIS deployment and use.
Assist in the Following Duties:
• Organizes, directs, and participates in the development, management, maintenance, and utilization of the City’s GIS.
• Analyzing the feasibility of GIS application requests.
• Creates and integrates new database sources into the City’s overall GIS.
• Ensures ongoing and appropriate development of the City’s base map and associated layers.
• Designs, documents, implements, and tests the City’s GIS end user applications.
• Assists other City staff in the utilization of the GIS through training and the development of GIS interfaces and other tools.
• Establishes productive relationships among collaborating departments for GIS projects.
• Coordinates data gathering and production of all maps and related geographical data for all City departments.
• Consults with department directors and designated staff from all City departments regarding departmental GIS needs and requirements.
• Protects the integrity of the City’s GIS data and applications.
• Develops, implements, coordinates, and maintains internal technical standards for GIS resources in the City.
• Assures that data quality standards are consistently enforced.
• Participates in the development and testing of an appropriate disaster recovery plan.
• Prepares scope of work and directing activities of consultants and vendors.
• Manages, coordinates, monitors, and evaluates the work of outside contractors in implementing GIS data for the City.
• Works with other governmental agencies to acquire and implement GIS data and applications.
• Assists in guiding City policy in relation to GIS matters.
• Develops long and short-range goals for the GIS sub-division in coordination with the City’s overall business plan.
• Develops and implements policies and procedures relating to GIS system maintenance, operations, and services.
• Assists in defining and providing GIS information needs of the public.
• Assists the IT Director in preparing the budget for GIS related activities.
• Meets and/or exceeds customer expectations with an unparalleled commitment to excellent customer service and positively promoting and enhancing the services and programs offered by the City of Brookhaven.
• Supports other software or applications utilizing the GIS data including, Cityworks, CitySourced, Lucity, and 911 CAD Systems.
• Performs other related duties as required or assigned.
• Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in GIS, geography, planning, civil engineering, computer science, or a related field;
• Five years of increasingly responsible experience in the design, development, implementation and administration of a geographical information system, in particular, the ESRI product line;
• Or equivalent education, and/or experience; and
• Possession of a valid Georgia Class C driver’s license.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Knowledge and understanding of cartographic principles, spatial data models, and statistics.
• Knowledge of modern principles, practices, and techniques of GIS, database and GIS software, including ArcGIS Desktop, ArcGIS Pro, ArcGIS Server/Enterprise, ArcGIS Online, and ArcGIS Apps (i.e., Collector, Operations Dashboard, Survey123, App Builders.).
• Knowledge of GIS design, development, analysis and maintenance.
• Knowledge of methods and techniques of evaluating needs and developing information or database system solutions.
• Knowledge of basic principles of cost analysis and estimating.
• Knowledge of operational characteristics of GIS hardware and software projects.
• Knowledge of principles, methods, and techniques of cartography.
• Knowledge of methods and techniques of supervision, training, and motivation.
• Knowledge of mathematic principles, including algebra, geometry, and statistics.
• Knowledge of methods and techniques of scheduling work assignments.
• Knowledge of principles and practices of municipal budget preparation and administration.
• Knowledge of pertinent federal, state, and local laws, codes, and regulations.
• Knowledge of proficiency with personal computers and Microsoft Office.
• Knowledge of excellent written and oral speaking skills.
• Ability to plan, direct, supervise, and oversee the development of geographic and statistical data.
• Ability to prepare concise, clear, and effective reports.
• Ability to conduct, coordinate, and perform the most difficult and complex GIS activities.
• Ability to understand, evaluate, and translate the needs of GIS users into effective solutions.
• Ability to conduct research, analysis, and data evaluation and make recommendations based on findings.
• Ability to train others in the uses of GIS technology.
• Ability to prepare and present GIS information for meetings and workshops.
• Ability to read and interpret maps, sketches, drawings, specifications, and technical manuals.
• Ability to perform mathematical calculations quickly and accurately.
• Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
• Ability to interpret and apply federal, state, and local policies, laws, and regulations.
• Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit; talk and hear; use hands to finger, handle, feel or operate objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms.
• The employee is occasionally required to walk.
• The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
• Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
• While performing the duties of this job, the employee sits in an office or computer room.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• The employee regularly works in a normal office environment.
• The employee may perform some duties outdoors while conducting official business which will require limited local travel.
• Employee may be required to attend some evening and weekend meetings, and may be required to assist in special events.
The City of Brookhaven is an equal opportunity employer.