Georgia Urban and Regional Information Systems Association
Georgia URISA is a proud chapter of the Urban and Regional Information Systems Association (URISA). The Georgia URISA Chapter is an organization of professionals using Geographic Information Systems (GIS) and other information technologies to solve challenges at the state, county, and local government levels. In addition, we collaborate with various private sector agencies that utilizes GIS.
URISA is a non-profit professional and educational association that promotes the effective and ethical use of spatial information and information technologies for the understanding and management of urban and regional systems. It is a multidisciplinary association where professionals from all parts of the spatial data community can come together and share concerns and ideas.
For more information about URISA, go to www.urisa.org.
Georgia URISA holds networking lunches the second Tuesday of every month. More details can be found here. Click on the event below to reserve your space now.
GA URISA News
GIS converts asset management standards, best management practices, and institutional knowledge into an operational asset management program. The quantified steps of building inventories with administrative overlays set the stage for predicting outcomes. The single greatest benefit of using GIS is to create a geospatial and temporal model of the built and natural environment to identify, calculate, and predict risk.
Date: August 29, 2018
Time: 11am — 1pm
Location: Middle Georgia Regional Commission (175 Emery Highway Suite C | Macon, Georgia 31217)
Lunch (optional) $15
Speaker: Jeffrey Johnson, GISP, ITIL GIS Manager, Department of Public Works, City of Atlanta
For questions, please email or contact Jeff Griffin at (478) 621-6388
Summary: The session will highlight integration of an asset management system and GIS. Topics to be covered include the use of mobile applications, work order management, permitting, and infrastructure rehabilitation in Public Works activities. Attendees will leave with the concepts needed to better leverage a common operating picture for users to collaborate using these multiple systems displayed via the GIS language.
Speaker Bio: As the Geographic Information Systems Manager at the City of Atlanta, Jeffrey Johnson leads the GIS Team for the Department of Public Works and two transportation bond programs. He prepared himself for this work environment through his career choices. For the past 17 years, he has served at the University, City, and State levels providing geospatial solutions for better decision-making, resource conservation, and infrastructure management. Jeffrey completed his undergrad and graduate Geography degrees at Georgia State University (GSU). He has two
professional certifications as GIS Professional through URISA and the Department of Geosciences at GSU. Jeff, his wife Alia, and their two little girls reside in the City of Decatur, just a few miles outside the City of Atlanta.
The time is right to join HNTB Corporation! HNTB is seeing a Senior GIS Analyst in our Atlanta, GA office
Provides direction to the design office in the most effective use of GIS technology to improve the planning and design process.
- Works with design office to identify and implement value added services to the clients.
- Identifies when to integrate GIS technology into an existing of further project.
- Develops digital display tools to allow the end user to easily display and analyze the data in the GIS database.
- Provides input into the business development process, such as defining proposed milestones, estimating work, documenting understanding of need and process to fulfill need.
- Defines standard formats for various GIS product deliverables specific to the industry.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
5 years related experience using ESRI, Intergraph, or Bentley software products
General Work Conditions
HNTB Corporation is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer, Minority/Female/Disabled/Veteran.
The HNTB Companies are an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, sex, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy status, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, marital status, genetic information, citizenship status, or other status protected by law. In compliance with the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986, we will hire only U.S. citizens and aliens lawfully authorized to work in the United States (if the position is or will be one which is subject to U.S. law). We will provide reasonable accommodation for qualified individual with a disability where appropriate.
Title: City of Dunwoody GIS Analyst
Location: Dunwoody, GA
Application Deadline: 2018-08-03
For nearly 40 years InterDev has been providing professional IT and Security services for commercial businesses, government entities / municipalities, non-profits, and a variety of organizations across the Southeastern U.S.
In addition to managing and hosting IT operations for our valued clients, we are an industry leader in Geographic Information Services, Telecom & VoIP platforms. InterDev is a proud Esri Silver Level Network Partner, Microsoft Silver Certified Partner and Barracuda Networks Certified Diamond Partner.
We work hard, embrace high standards in our quality of services model, and take pride as a pacesetter in our industry.
InterDev is now seeking to add a talented, motivated, and experienced professional to our team at the City of Dunwoody. InterDev is offering an opportunity for a GIS Analyst to help build on and expand the city’s enterprise GIS. Our focus is on engaging and connecting staff and the community while honing and expanding our skills through collaboration, training, and participation in professional community events.
Here at InterDev, we are dedicated to:
• work/life balance
• job satisfaction
• professional development opportunities
• health & wellness
We offer comprehensive benefits which include 401(k) with employer matching, health, disability, and life insurance.
WE SUPPORT OUR TEAM’S PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT WITH COMPANY FUNDED CONTINUING EDUCATION, INCENTIVE PROGRAMS, AND THE OPPORTUNITY FOR HANDS ON EXPERIENCE WITH A WIDE VARIETY OF CONFIGURATIONS, SYSTEMS, AND APPLICATIONS ENVIRONMENTS.
As our ideal candidate, you:
• Are passionate about GIS and improving our community
• Exemplify an exceptional work ethic
• Are customer service oriented
• Possess GIS technical and cartographic skills
• Bring new and imaginative ideas to your work
• Are highly interested and experienced in urban planning/city planning GIS or similar fields
• Demonstrate strong written and oral communication skills
• Have 2-5 years professional GIS experience
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Administer ArcGIS for Server and/or Portal for ArcGIS and ArcGIS Online
• Perform spatial analysis and create information products (maps, reports, etc.) using advanced GIS geoprocessing tools and processes
• Develop tools and applications that engage staff and community
• Integrate departmental systems with GIS
• Maintain key datasets including addresses, parcels, roads, and city assets as well as all other existing and future datasets
• Coordinate the acquisition/transfer of data and supervise the integration of these data into the City’s GIS which may include organizing or participating in cooperative initiatives
• Develop, implement, and improve GIS standards, policies and procedures
• Provide GIS training to City staff as necessary
• Prepare project plans and direct vendors (consultants) and internal project teams to accomplish tasks in order to meet user requirements
• Provide support services for City-provided GIS software and systems including diagnosing and troubleshooting problems
• Manage GIS licenses including assisting in scoping of immediate and future needs
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
• User and Administrator experience with ArcGIS for Server and/or Portal for ArcGIS and ArcGIS Online
• Experience with SQL Server
• Experience with Asset Management Systems such as Cityworks/Freeance Mobile, iWorQ, SunGard, and other enterprise and departmental systems
• Demonstrated cartographic design and high-quality map standards
• BS degree in geography, surveying, computer science, urban planning or related field preferred, GISP or other industry certifications preferred
• Interpersonal skills: telephony skills, communication skills, active listening and customer care
• Ability to multi-task and adapt to change
• Technical acumen: ability to match resources to technical issues appropriately
• Understanding of support tools, techniques, and how technology is applied to GIS
• Self-motivated with the ability to work in a professional government customer site environment
• Display a positive attitude towards complex challenges and problems as well as performing repetitive tasks
• Comfortable with communicating with all levels of management, business, and technical users
• Demonstrated ability to exercise judgement and work independently or as a member of a team
• Ability to adapt to changes in work priorities while managing expectations and completing demands in a delivery-driven, government environment
• Ability to communicate effectively
Classification: Full Time, Exempt
Salary Grade/Level/Family/Range: $58k – $62k
Note: Applicant selected will be subject to a criminal, credit, and department of motor vehicles background checks and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified and sensitive information.
Successful completion of background screening is a condition of initial, as well as ongoing, employment. Successful completion is defined as meeting or exceeding all security clearance requirements defined by InterDev and InterDev’s clients.
InterDev is a Drug Free workplace. We reserve the right to perform screening for abused substances at any point in time during your employment. You will also be required to sign an employment agreement and confidentiality agreement which will protect InterDev and its client’s proprietary information.
The work environment characteristics and physical demands described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This position does not have supervisory responsibilities.
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and more.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms.
This is a full-time position; hours of work and days are generally Mon – Fri, 8:00 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Travel, if applicable, is primarily locally during the business day.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for their job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
InterDev provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, InterDev complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
InterDev expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status.
Please submit resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
|Under general supervision, the purpose of the position is to provide technical support for multiple projects and to create and organize spatial and tabular data by way of geographic information systems. Employee in this classification function in a senior capacity, to perform work both specialized and technical in nature, and are responsible for developing, updating and maintaining complex database information using current technologies. Work includes high-level GIS operations, database administration with communication and interpersonal skills to establish and maintain effective working relationships with City departments, outside agencies and organizations, and the general public.|
Now Accepting Applications for GIS Right of Way Technician
The GIS Right of Way Technician will report to the Senior Right of Way Specialist.
To view this job posting or apply for the position please visit MARTA’s website.
Applications must be received by June 21.
GIS / GPS ANALYST
- 101 W Lamar St, Americus, GA 31709, USA
Americus is an innovative, clean, and safe city where our citizens enjoy an exceptional quality of life. We encourage a cultural, social, educational and healthy environment. We provide quality governmental services, cultivate economic development, and promote progressive healthcare and a thriving business environment.
The City of Americus is seeking a qualified candidate to fill the position of GIS / GPS Analyst.
The salary for this position is commensurate with knowledge, skills and ability.
Responsibilities of this position are to develop and maintain the geographic information system (GIS) databases, coverage’s and linkages to various databases, as well as extensive GPS duties, including
collecting infrastructure features using global positioning system (GPS) technology and to assist in providing a digital model of the City’s infrastructure using GIS/GPS technology.
Requirements include Bachelor’s degree in Geography, Civil Engineering, or related field; supplemented by at least one year’s experience in the GIS field involving GPS training, computer aided drafting, surveying and/or public utility operations; or any equivalent combination of education, training, and experience which provides the requisite knowledge, skills, and abilities for this job. Must possess and maintain a valid Georgia driver’s license. Proof of requirements must be provided at time of applying.
Applications will be accepted through 4:00 PM, Friday, June 8, 2018.
An application, along with instructions may be obtained from the City’s website www. americusga.gov or the Human Resources Department located at 101 West Lamar Street, Americus, Georgia 31709. Resumes will not be accepted without an application.
EEOC: The City of Americus is an equal employment opportunity provider, regardless of age, color, national origin, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, race, religion, creed, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, genetic information, marital status, status with regard to public assistance, veteran status, or any other class protected by federal, state or local law. In addition, the City of Americus will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities.
Notice of Job Opening
Date: April 25, 2018
Exp Dat: Until Filled
Employee in this position provides field mapping and associated technical support as needed for all city divisions. Duties include preparing bid drawings and documents, submitting DOT permits, researching property records, maintaining GIS maps, integrating various computer databases, and monitoring construction projects. Employee reports to the Director of Utilities.
Examples of Work
- Prepares drawings and bid documents for infrastructure projects.
- Surveys and stakes construction jobs.
- Performs field inspections of utility work.
- Updates utility, zoning, and public safety maps.
- Prepares drawings for all city divisions as requested.
- Coordinates GIS efforts with Troup County and other entities.
- Troubleshoots field tablets, computers, SCADA devices, and metering equipment.
- Issues pole attachment and utility right-of-way permit requests.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Skill in using AutoCAD, GIS, and other mapping software.
- Ability to troubleshoot basic database and computer problems.
- Knowledge of utility construction materials and methods.
- Willingness to work outdoors in all terrain and weather conditions.
- Ability to make quick, sound, and safe decisions.
- Ability to work independently and seek out areas for improvement.
Necessary Training & Experience
- High School Diploma
- Technical certification in GIS mapping.
- Possess a valid Georgia driver’s license
If you have any additional questions please email or call Stephanie Crowe in the Human Resource Department: +706 883 2037, email@example.com
Date: June 14, 2018
Time: 11am – 3pm (see Agenda for details)
Location: Harold Pate Building (1725 Reynolds St Rm 224, Brunswick, GA)
Lunch (optional): $12 (Honey Baked Ham Sandwich/Salad Box + Drinks)
Topic: Hurricane Prep Rally (see below for presentation details)
Kirk McElveen (Chatham County)
John Centeno (Glynn County)
Lisa Fulton (Coastal Regional Commission)
Scott Jackson (Heart of Georgia Altamaha Regional Commission)
For questions, please email us or contact Mandy Terkhorn at (912) 651-1458.
Title: Individual Assistance Damage Assessment Technologies & Best Practices
Speaker: Kirk McElveen (Chatham County)
Summary: Hurricane Matthew made it clear that paper Individual Assistance Damage Assessment (IADA) forms are not viable on a large scale disaster. Chatham County learned from this experience developed an intuitive, mobile data collection method for collecting IADA information. This included developing a Social Vulnerability Index to prioritize damage assessment areas. Hurricane Irma provided the opportunity to demonstrate Chatham County’s changes to the IADA Program while conducting more than 90,000 surveys in only a few days.
Title: Drones, Maps, and Math
Speaker: John Centeno (Glynn County)
Summary: We will discuss how Glynn County GIS used drone technology and ESRI Drone2Map software to monitor debris cleanup and calculate the volume of storm debris from Hurricane Irma. This method was used to compare with the amount of debris calculated the FEMA/GEMA monitors and debris removal companies in order to prevent fraudulent billing.
Title: GIS Best Practices & Resources for Public Safety
Speaker: Lisa Fulton (Coastal Regional Commission)
Summary: Presentation going through various resources to help streamline symbology and data preparation (and usage). This will also share some real-world lessons learned from Irma.
Title: Hazus & Emergency Response
Speaker: Scott Jackson (Heart of Georgia Altamaha Regional Commission)
Summary: Presentation on flooding modeled in Hazus that was later experienced in person not too long after the model run.
The City of Brookhaven, located in metro Atlanta, is seeking highly qualified applicants for a GIS Analyst in the IT Department.
This temporary six-month assignment will support Geographic Information System (GIS) activities in the City of Brookhaven using ESRI’s ArcGIS Applications.
The successful candidate will need to have exceptional attention to detail, strong research skills, work ethic, organizational skills, and ability to work with others.
Assist in the Following Duties:
• Map production/printing
• Dataset maintenance/creation/collection
• ArcGIS Online administration
• ArcGIS Server service creation/maintenance
• Verify or assist in creating documentation for existing systems/processes/metadata
• Script development (Python) to automate or enhance routine processes
• Assist other City staff in utilization of GIS through training/education
• 3 – 5 years of experience with ArcGIS Applications (ArcMap, ArcCatalog, ArcGIS Server, etc.)
• Working knowledge of methods, standards, and techniques in GIS
• Knowledge of different data formats (shapefiles, geodatabases, relational databases)
• Ability to multi-task
• Excellent communication skills
• Passion to learn, and to accept responsibility
• Pass background check
Education and/or Experience:
• Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in GIS, geography, planning, civil engineering, computer science, or a related field.
The City of Brookhaven is an equal opportunity employer.