Georgia Urban and Regional Information Systems Association
Georgia URISA is a proud chapter of the Urban and Regional Information Systems Association (URISA). The Georgia URISA Chapter is an organization of professionals using Geographic Information Systems (GIS) and other information technologies to solve challenges at the state, county, and local government levels. In addition, we collaborate with various private sector agencies that utilizes GIS.
URISA is a non-profit professional and educational association that promotes the effective and ethical use of spatial information and information technologies for the understanding and management of urban and regional systems. It is a multidisciplinary association where professionals from all parts of the spatial data community can come together and share concerns and ideas.
For more information about URISA, go to www.urisa.org.
Georgia URISA holds networking lunches the second Tuesday of every month. More details can be found here. Click on the event below to reserve your space now.
11:30 am - 1:30 pm
My Life in Open Source Software -- And Maybe Yours Too
Georgia Emergency Management and Homeland Security Agency, Atlanta Georgia
11:30 am - 1:30 pm
My Life in Open Source Software -- And Maybe Yours Too
Georgia Emergency Management and Homeland Security Agency, Atlanta Georgia
GA URISA News
The Chatham County – Savannah Metropolitan Planning Commission is seeking qualified applicants for the position listed below.
GIS Specialist: A Bachelor’s Degree in GIS, Geography, Planning or a related field with at least one (1) year of professional experience is required, or a Master’s Degree in a related field is desired. The GIS Specialist will work with the Savannah Area GIS (SAGIS) team to develop and administer enterprise-level geodatabases; prepare GIS maps, database reports and specialized queries; create and enhance web-based GIS applications; and assist with permitting, address and zoning requests. This position is responsible for providing spatial based analysis and mapping applications to the MPC and Savannah Area GIS (SAGIS) customers, partners and the general public. Technical writing, excellent public speaking skills, and the ability to collaborate across disciplines are essential.
Send resume and cover letter to: Christy Adams, Director of Administrative Services, Chatham County-Savannah Metropolitan Planning Commission, P. O. Box 8246, Savannah, GA 31412-8246; phone: 912-651-1440; fax: 912-335-5922; or email: firstname.lastname@example.org with the following subject line: GIS Specialist. Applications accepted through October 7, 2018. Salary will be commensurate with experience and qualifications.
MPC IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER, M/F/H
The City of Covington is currently seeking applicants for a GIS Intern position in the GIS Department. An
intern is needed to help support the City’s professional GIS staff with some of the duties listed below,
and to collaborate with Newton County employees, as well. This internship will serve as an excellent
opportunity for a current college/university student to gain valuable, on‐the‐job experience while
assisting with the development and advancement of Covington’s GIS program.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Operates global positioning system (GPS) equipment and mobile devices to collect field data.
- Produces maps for internal customers and the general public.
- Scans/digitizes paper maps and plans.
- Drafts and updates metadata and other support documentation.
- May edit map layers and geodatabases.
- May design, develop, and deploy web and mobile GIS applications.
- High School Diploma or GED equivalent.
- Current enrollment in a Bachelor’s degree program with a major in Geography, GIS, or closely
related field. Graduate students are also encouraged to apply.
- Knowledge of cartographic design principles and practices.
- Experience using Esri ArcGIS Desktop software (ArcMap or ArcGIS Pro).
- Experience with web or mobile GIS applications, such as: ArcGIS Online, Esri’s Collector app, or
- Willingness to learn and contribute to a team environment.
The pay rate for the position is $12/hour and the internship is part‐time/temporary. The selected
applicant(s) may work up to 29.5 hours per week and the internship is funded until June 30, 2019.
Qualified applicants should submit a letter of interest and resume to email@example.com by
October 10, 2018. No phone calls, please.
The City of Covington is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Tony Giarrusso, Associate Director of the Center for Spatial Planning Analytics and Visualization in the College of Design at Georgia Tech, recently completed his second tree canopy assessment for the City of Atlanta, the results of which were highlighted in June 2018 both nationally and locally through news stories published by the Daily Beast and WABE, Georgia public radio. Using high-resolution satellite imagery to identify tree canopy, Mr. Giarrusso estimated that 47.1% of the city was covered by trees in 2014, a seemingly insignificant change from what he found in the 2008 canopy assessment (47.9%). However, after further investigation, Mr. Giarrusso found that while the quantity of tree canopy had not shrunk much between 2008-2014, the quality of tree canopy had diminished significantly. Through a combination of field visits and computer-based review of the satellite imagery, Mr. Giarrusso identified hundreds of acres of land that had been cleared for development prior to 2008 yet remained undeveloped in 2014 and subsequently showed signs of canopy growth, albeit it low quality, fast-growing pines. Unfortunately, these areas of “false” growth comprised the majority of canopy gain between 2008-2014. While identification of canopy gain wasn’t as straight-forward as might be expected, documentation of canopy loss was much simpler, and subsequently more alarming. Mr. Giarrusso determined that the majority of canopy loss in the City of Atlanta was a result of redevelopment of single-family homes, where a small house was almost always replaced with a larger house built-out to the maximum allowable lot coverage. In other words, single-family homes got bigger at the expense of the city’s tree canopy. Using development permit data obtained from the city, Mr. Giarrusso determined that approximately 30-40% of all single-family developments between 2012-2017 were actually redevelopments of single-family lots, most of which were built-out to the maximum lot coverage. And field visits during 2016 and 2017 strongly confirmed that this trend has accelerated substantially since 2014 and does not appear to be stopping any time soon. Please join us on ….to learn how the results of this study and those found in the next assessment (2019) are being used by the City of Atlanta to evaluate policy and its effects on the city’s tree canopy.
GIS converts asset management standards, best management practices, and institutional knowledge into an operational asset management program. The quantified steps of building inventories with administrative overlays set the stage for predicting outcomes. The single greatest benefit of using GIS is to create a geospatial and temporal model of the built and natural environment to identify, calculate, and predict risk.
Date: August 29, 2018
Time: 11am — 1pm
Location: Middle Georgia Regional Commission (175 Emery Highway Suite C | Macon, Georgia 31217)
Lunch (optional) $15
Speaker: Jeffrey Johnson, GISP, ITIL GIS Manager, Department of Public Works, City of Atlanta
For questions, please email or contact Jeff Griffin at (478) 621-6388
Summary: The session will highlight integration of an asset management system and GIS. Topics to be covered include the use of mobile applications, work order management, permitting, and infrastructure rehabilitation in Public Works activities. Attendees will leave with the concepts needed to better leverage a common operating picture for users to collaborate using these multiple systems displayed via the GIS language.
Speaker Bio: As the Geographic Information Systems Manager at the City of Atlanta, Jeffrey Johnson leads the GIS Team for the Department of Public Works and two transportation bond programs. He prepared himself for this work environment through his career choices. For the past 17 years, he has served at the University, City, and State levels providing geospatial solutions for better decision-making, resource conservation, and infrastructure management. Jeffrey completed his undergrad and graduate Geography degrees at Georgia State University (GSU). He has two
professional certifications as GIS Professional through URISA and the Department of Geosciences at GSU. Jeff, his wife Alia, and their two little girls reside in the City of Decatur, just a few miles outside the City of Atlanta.
The time is right to join HNTB Corporation! HNTB is seeing a Senior GIS Analyst in our Atlanta, GA office
Provides direction to the design office in the most effective use of GIS technology to improve the planning and design process.
- Works with design office to identify and implement value added services to the clients.
- Identifies when to integrate GIS technology into an existing of further project.
- Develops digital display tools to allow the end user to easily display and analyze the data in the GIS database.
- Provides input into the business development process, such as defining proposed milestones, estimating work, documenting understanding of need and process to fulfill need.
- Defines standard formats for various GIS product deliverables specific to the industry.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
5 years related experience using ESRI, Intergraph, or Bentley software products
General Work Conditions
HNTB Corporation is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer, Minority/Female/Disabled/Veteran.
The HNTB Companies are an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, sex, national origin, age, disability, pregnancy status, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, marital status, genetic information, citizenship status, or other status protected by law. In compliance with the Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986, we will hire only U.S. citizens and aliens lawfully authorized to work in the United States (if the position is or will be one which is subject to U.S. law). We will provide reasonable accommodation for qualified individual with a disability where appropriate.
Title: City of Dunwoody GIS Analyst
Location: Dunwoody, GA
Application Deadline: 2018-08-03
For nearly 40 years InterDev has been providing professional IT and Security services for commercial businesses, government entities / municipalities, non-profits, and a variety of organizations across the Southeastern U.S.
In addition to managing and hosting IT operations for our valued clients, we are an industry leader in Geographic Information Services, Telecom & VoIP platforms. InterDev is a proud Esri Silver Level Network Partner, Microsoft Silver Certified Partner and Barracuda Networks Certified Diamond Partner.
We work hard, embrace high standards in our quality of services model, and take pride as a pacesetter in our industry.
InterDev is now seeking to add a talented, motivated, and experienced professional to our team at the City of Dunwoody. InterDev is offering an opportunity for a GIS Analyst to help build on and expand the city’s enterprise GIS. Our focus is on engaging and connecting staff and the community while honing and expanding our skills through collaboration, training, and participation in professional community events.
Here at InterDev, we are dedicated to:
• work/life balance
• job satisfaction
• professional development opportunities
• health & wellness
We offer comprehensive benefits which include 401(k) with employer matching, health, disability, and life insurance.
WE SUPPORT OUR TEAM’S PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT WITH COMPANY FUNDED CONTINUING EDUCATION, INCENTIVE PROGRAMS, AND THE OPPORTUNITY FOR HANDS ON EXPERIENCE WITH A WIDE VARIETY OF CONFIGURATIONS, SYSTEMS, AND APPLICATIONS ENVIRONMENTS.
As our ideal candidate, you:
• Are passionate about GIS and improving our community
• Exemplify an exceptional work ethic
• Are customer service oriented
• Possess GIS technical and cartographic skills
• Bring new and imaginative ideas to your work
• Are highly interested and experienced in urban planning/city planning GIS or similar fields
• Demonstrate strong written and oral communication skills
• Have 2-5 years professional GIS experience
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Administer ArcGIS for Server and/or Portal for ArcGIS and ArcGIS Online
• Perform spatial analysis and create information products (maps, reports, etc.) using advanced GIS geoprocessing tools and processes
• Develop tools and applications that engage staff and community
• Integrate departmental systems with GIS
• Maintain key datasets including addresses, parcels, roads, and city assets as well as all other existing and future datasets
• Coordinate the acquisition/transfer of data and supervise the integration of these data into the City’s GIS which may include organizing or participating in cooperative initiatives
• Develop, implement, and improve GIS standards, policies and procedures
• Provide GIS training to City staff as necessary
• Prepare project plans and direct vendors (consultants) and internal project teams to accomplish tasks in order to meet user requirements
• Provide support services for City-provided GIS software and systems including diagnosing and troubleshooting problems
• Manage GIS licenses including assisting in scoping of immediate and future needs
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
• User and Administrator experience with ArcGIS for Server and/or Portal for ArcGIS and ArcGIS Online
• Experience with SQL Server
• Experience with Asset Management Systems such as Cityworks/Freeance Mobile, iWorQ, SunGard, and other enterprise and departmental systems
• Demonstrated cartographic design and high-quality map standards
• BS degree in geography, surveying, computer science, urban planning or related field preferred, GISP or other industry certifications preferred
• Interpersonal skills: telephony skills, communication skills, active listening and customer care
• Ability to multi-task and adapt to change
• Technical acumen: ability to match resources to technical issues appropriately
• Understanding of support tools, techniques, and how technology is applied to GIS
• Self-motivated with the ability to work in a professional government customer site environment
• Display a positive attitude towards complex challenges and problems as well as performing repetitive tasks
• Comfortable with communicating with all levels of management, business, and technical users
• Demonstrated ability to exercise judgement and work independently or as a member of a team
• Ability to adapt to changes in work priorities while managing expectations and completing demands in a delivery-driven, government environment
• Ability to communicate effectively
Classification: Full Time, Exempt
Salary Grade/Level/Family/Range: $58k – $62k
Note: Applicant selected will be subject to a criminal, credit, and department of motor vehicles background checks and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified and sensitive information.
Successful completion of background screening is a condition of initial, as well as ongoing, employment. Successful completion is defined as meeting or exceeding all security clearance requirements defined by InterDev and InterDev’s clients.
InterDev is a Drug Free workplace. We reserve the right to perform screening for abused substances at any point in time during your employment. You will also be required to sign an employment agreement and confidentiality agreement which will protect InterDev and its client’s proprietary information.
The work environment characteristics and physical demands described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This position does not have supervisory responsibilities.
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and more.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms.
This is a full-time position; hours of work and days are generally Mon – Fri, 8:00 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Travel, if applicable, is primarily locally during the business day.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for their job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
InterDev provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, InterDev complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
InterDev expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status.
Please submit resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
|Under general supervision, the purpose of the position is to provide technical support for multiple projects and to create and organize spatial and tabular data by way of geographic information systems. Employee in this classification function in a senior capacity, to perform work both specialized and technical in nature, and are responsible for developing, updating and maintaining complex database information using current technologies. Work includes high-level GIS operations, database administration with communication and interpersonal skills to establish and maintain effective working relationships with City departments, outside agencies and organizations, and the general public.|
Now Accepting Applications for GIS Right of Way Technician
The GIS Right of Way Technician will report to the Senior Right of Way Specialist.
To view this job posting or apply for the position please visit MARTA’s website.
Applications must be received by June 21.